Saturday, June 23, 2012

Youk: 'I was never told what's going on'

ESPN Boston:  BOSTON -- Red Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis is clearly not happy with the fact that he's out of the lineup for the third consecutive game Saturday. 

He also made it a point to tell a group of reporters that he's healthy. 

"You want to play. I definitely want to play the game and enjoy it and have fun," Youkilis said. "I don't know my situation. To be honest, I was never told what's going on here -- let's get that straight." 

Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said Friday he spoke with Youkilis, but the veteran infielder debunked that notion. 

"There was no conversation and I'll leave it at that," Youkilis said. "I don't want to start up anything, but there was no conversation. But it has been addressed. ... It's been addressed that I'm not playing today. Basically, there was no conversation about it and I'm just coming in here and getting my work done. If I need to pinch-hit and play the game, I'll come in and play." 

There's been serious speculation that the Red Sox are about to trade Youkilis, and there are a few teams interested in the veteran. Youkilis does not want to talk about the situation. 

"I have no thoughts on anything and I haven't been told anything, so until I'm told anything I can't really respond," Youkilis said. 

This is the first time in his career he's really had to think about the possibility of a trade. 

"It's definitely different and you've just got to go day to day," he said. "It's definitely unknown waters, but all you can do is come to the field and do your work and try to improve."

No comments:

Post a Comment